Monday, February 17, 2014

My 20th Birthday

Today was (and still is) my 20th birthday.

At first I was concerned about it. I spent the night before complaining about turning twenty. "What do I have to show for it?" Was my question. I've had many people tell me as a 19 year old that because I was still a teenager, I still had time. I was still okay to not have any large accomplishments.

I'm not in college. I don't have a normal job. I haven't created anything of merit. Or at least that's what I thought.

My day started out... pretty low. I woke up and convinced myself to get out of bed before 10am. I was awake by 8, but I laid in bed for awhile. What can I say? It was comfortable.

I already had about 10 facebook comments saying happy birthday, which was nice, but many of them lacked any kind of personalization. Not that I should complain. I guess it has to do with waking up in a bad mood. But I was hopeful at least, and I liked every single one of those comments, because they were people who took the time out of their day to wish me a happy birthday. And that's a beautiful thing.

My boyfriend came over. I was still upset about things and negative things kept occurring, but at least I had someone to talk with and be around. Because of the weather I was concerned about not being able to keep any birthday traditions. One of them being the free caribou coffee, another being choosing a dinner. This wouldn't be such a problem if it weren't for the fact that I also don't have any birthday party currently planned. Parties require money and I am not doing well in the funds department. So I felt sad.

And then one of my best friends texted. We all ended up hanging out. At first things went a little iffy, but we ended up at my house to hang out. (And yes, I had gotten the coffee.) We walked in the door about the time of my birth. 5:35pm.

I was able to spend the evening with two of the most important people in my life. We played uno and watched a movie. The day has been going very different from what I imagined.

I imagined I'd be alone, sulking in my room by the end of the night.

Instead, I'm sitting on the couch after a nice evening. And you know what? I think I'll make myself something nice for dinner. Maybe fry up some onions and chicken and make a grilled cheese sandwich with my garlic Parmesan butter. It's one of my favorite foods. And then I'll work on a book.

This is a good start to a new decade.
-Alexandria

No comments:

Post a Comment