Tuesday, August 5, 2014

One Week to your 10k Day Writing Marathon

First I'd like to start off with an update and say YES I will forget about my blog on a semi frequent basis. It's a part of who I am.

For those that don't know, I moved in with my boyfriend in Michigan. Am I going to school here? No. Do I have a traditional job? No. Do I plan on getting one? No. What do I do all day? Write, clean, cook, freelance.

10K MARATHON!


Now that that's over, we can move on to the important stuff, that's right, today is the beginning of my blog post series "One week to your 10k marathon!" (Which will, obviously, last about a week.)

I will be running a 10k marathon on the 11th of this month. Why the 11th? It's about a week from today and I have almost nothing else planned for that entire day. Plus, it's a Monday, so I'll be up half an hour earlier.

What is a 10k Marathon and Why do it?


Excellent question! A 10k marathon is a writing marathon done in a single day. 10,000 words. 
It's a pretty hefty number but is great for a variety of reasons:
1. Catching up on NaNoWriMo.
2. Starting off a book with a big jump.
3. Needing to powerhouse through the end of your book.
4. To get your ghostwriting job done on time (oops!)
5. For the fun of it (and the challenge!)
6. To create interest in your book/series.
7. To learn how to write without editing each sentence after writing it.

My reason for doing it entails the challenge, to start a new book, and to garner interest in myself as an author. My first book will be coming out on Amazon for Kindle as soon as I get the cover art!

Preparing for the Challenge - Day One:


So you want to take this challenge? Awesome! Come and join me on the 11th of this August 2014.

There are a couple things that will help make your event stress free. Each day of the week I'll be posting little things that you can do to prepare for your challenge so you don't just dive in headfirst and hate yourself. (I was REALLY tempted to do that!)

TODAY our goal is to choose the story we will be writing. For some people this will be terribly easy, you knew what you wanted to do when you got into this. For other people it will take you pretty much all day to choose. 

Do you want to work on that fiction book that's been gathering dust? Or what about that new sci-fi idea that's been drifting in your mind for the last month? But of course, then there's the nonfiction book you always told your friends you were going to write...

ANOTHER thing I'm going to have you do today, once you choose your story, is IF you are a planning kind of person, create a mini outline for your story. It doesn't have to be too fancy, unless you have the time and want it to be. Know where you are going to go.

For the people who are NOT the planning kind, write a brief synopsis. It should be at least 100 words describing what kind of book you are planning. This will be your writing prompt.

You can do both or either or, the choice is yours! Happy planning!
-Alexandria Hathaway
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlexandriaMazareth
Twitter: @AlexandriaMWolf
Deviantart: http://littlewolfdreamer.deviantart.com/


Support an Author

No comments:

Post a Comment